Search This Blog

Dulce de Leche Frosting

>> Sunday, July 24, 2011


I hesitate to post any cake/frosting recipe here, because Beth makes the most amazing cakes! In fact, I am still eating the leftover cake she made for my son's 7th birthday. Not only am I eating the cake, I am trying to prevent it from setting up permanent residence on my thighs.

I roughly calculated how many calories of cake I thought I consumed the other day, which led me to a 7 mile run that night. I'm trying to increase my mileage anyway, so in a way eating the cake was very helpful, right?

For me, running is dependent on good music. I am a huge fan of country music, but when I run my taste in music leans toward more pop, hip hop, sometimes some 80s... Basically my running playlist would be the only thing I need a friend to destroy if something ever happens to me. It's pretty embarrassing...

The bike trail I run on is right near my house, and often it's pretty empty. I love that, but the downside is that sometimes I forget that I am on a public trail and I find myself singing along to my playlist.

Like, for example, the other night while running that cake off, I was listening to Dierks Bentley's new song, "Am I The Only One". And here, I must issue a public apology. To the middle-aged man with his 10ish year old son - Sir, I am very sorry for my loud and off-tune singing. I did not intend to scare you or your son (although I think you were more scared than him based on your protective arm around his shoulders quickly guiding him away from me). I promise, I am not dangerous or crazy. Or, at least not in a cougar kind of way, which is what I think you were worried about. And I sort of can't blame you, considering I was belting out "Am I the only one, who wants to have fun tonight? Is there anybody out there who wants to have a cold beer and kick it til the morning light?" I promise your son is safe, sir. I was just trying to get rid of that cake.

So, what I'm saying, internet, is don't blame me if you make this frosting and you have the same experience.

Don't judge. It could happen to you too.

This recipe is from Joy the Baker. I did make both the cupcake and frosting recipe. The cupcake was pretty good, but the frosting is the real star. I think the next time I make this I will likely choose a different cake recipe. This one seemed to get dry after a day. Maybe someday Beth will share her amazing cinnamon cake recipe. But the frosting, definitely give it a try because it is delicious!

For the dulce de leche, you can buy a can or make your own from sweetened condensed milk. A can will either be in the baking aisle or the hispanic foods section, depending on your grocery store. I made mine and it was really, really delicious. I boiled it right in the can, although later I found that the manufacturer strongly advised against that method because the cans could explode. So, I'll leave it up to you to decide. If you're interested in making it just google and you'll find the method, along with directions for using the microwave too.


1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 
8 ounces cream cheese, softened 
3/4 cup dulce de leche 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar 

Place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until very soft. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the butter and dulce de leche. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Stop the mixer and add the salt and powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy and lighter in color. Generously spoon frosting on top of cupcakes, or use a large frosting tip to pipe on frosting. Drizzle top with more dulce de leche or sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate leftovers and bring to room temp before serving. 

Post a Comment