Search This Blog

Easy, No-Rise Cinnamon Rolls

>> Thursday, June 16, 2011

I follow a lot of different blogs.  Some are cake decorating ones, some are blogs that feature coupons and good deals, some are about household projects and organizing, some are written by personal friends with updates about their family and some are cooking and menu planning.  


Several years ago, I saw a recipe on one such blog and tried it.  I fell in love.  Not only is it easy, but it's somewhat healthy (at least compared to most other recipes).  It's No Rise Cinnamon Rolls, which I found on the blog, http://thehappyhousewife.com.  Yum-o!

We probably make these about once a month (maybe a little more when I'm pregnant :) and the boys love to help me prepare them...and most of all, eat them!  We made them this morning, and I documented what we did and the boys helping me.

Below is my (slightly) modified version of what she has on her website.

Easy, No-Rise Cinnamon Rolls

Dough
·                                 2 cups whole wheat flour (I buy mine bulk from an Amish store, but you can find it in the flour section of your local grocery store)
·                                 3 teaspoons baking powder
·                                 1/2 teaspoon salt
·                                 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
·                                 1/2 stick butter, melted
·                                 3/4 cup milk

To make the dough mix together the dry ingredients.  Add melted butter and milk.  Stir to combine.  Dough should be a little sticky, but able to roll out.  Put on a floured surface and roll out.

Filling
·                                 Butter (I use the tub butter because it is perfect spreading consistency)
·                                 Brown Sugar
·                                 Cinnamon

Spread filling on the on the rolled out dough. Butter first, then sugar, then cinnamon. Use as much or as little as you want.
Roll up and slice into rolls. I cut the roll in half, and then keep "halving" each section until I have around 12-16 rolls.  Place evenly in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Icing
·                                 3 Tablespoons butter  (softened)
·                                 3 cups powdered sugar
·                                 3 Tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
·                                 1 teaspoon vanilla
·                                 Milk

Mix together butter and cream cheese. Then add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk until you get a consistency that can be drizzled on the cinnamon rolls. When the rolls are finished, you can either drizzle icing on all of them, or drizzle as you serve them (this is what we do!).   This makes a lot of icing; unless you use TONS, you will have enough for at least 2 batches of rolls.  Extra icing will keep in the fridge for at least a month.


Getting ready to start!

Dough Ingredients

Dough dry ingredients

Mommy's helper

Notice Ryan is not helping to roll...he is trying to eat as much dough as possible.

Filling Ingredients (except I use tub butter because I always forget to set the butter out to soften)

Butter spread on rolled out dough

Brown Sugar and Cinnamon added to dough and butter

Rolling up into cinnamon rolls

Cinnamon rolls are cut and ready to put into the pan

Mom, can't we eat them now?!

Icing Ingredients - I use PURE Mexican Vanilla...this is one thing I don't skimp on!

Waiting patiently...only 15 minutes but it seems like FOREVER to a 2 year old!
 
Yum!  Who needs a plate?

I can't wait for another photo, MOM!

YUM!

Mom, don't make me wait to start eating!

Post a Comment